KILLBUCK TWP. -- Firefighters from several departments spent more than an hour Thursday morning, March 16, battling and putting out a fire that ripped through a mobile home along Township Road 55.
Firefighters were called at 3:41 a.m. to the 3969 Township Road 55 residence of Tessa Brown after an 8-year-old child reportedly woke up and "heard something in the ceiling," said Killbuck Township Volunteer Fire Chief Keith Mohler.
Although there were no smoke detectors in the home, Brown and her three small children -- ages 8, 10 months and two months -- escaped without injury and had done so before firefighters arrived at 3:55 a.m., at which time flames were showing and the fire was located in the ceiling above the living room and kitchen, said Mohler.
Considering the circumstances, he said, they're all "very lucky" to be alive and well.
The fire started around a pipe extending from the wood-burning stove through a wall, he said.
It was contained within 25 minutes, with most of the damage limited to the kitchen and living room, largely because of an overhaul of the ceiling necessary to get to and extinguish the fire. Heat damage was limited to around the ceiling, said Mohler.
The home is owned by Henry Parsons, said Mohler, who believes, thanks to quick work containing the blaze, the structure may not be a total loss. Mohler said firefighters also were able to move and protect much of the furnishings within the home.
"We did a good job getting there quick and getting it out," said Mohler. A total of 15 firefighters from not only Killbuck Township, but Richland Township and Holmes Fire District No. 1, assisted in the effort. They remained on scene until 5:27 a.m.
There were no injuries reported.
The Lake Erie/Heartland Chapter of the American Red Cross was contacted to provide assistance to the Brown family, which has been temporarily displaced.
The organization, in partnership with local Red Cross volunteer David Crilow and area fire departments, makes available to all residents free smoke detectors, along with free installation and counseling about fire safety and escape plans.
Anyone interested in participating in the program should call the local chapter of the American Red Cross at 330-264-9383 or their local fire department.
Reporter Christine Pratt can be reached at 330-674-5676 or firstname.lastname@example.org.